LEAGUE OF WOMEN VOTERS
of Montgomery County, Maryland
12216 Parklawn Drive, Suite 101
News & Events: LWV
2013 Lavinia Award Luncheon
(Click to enlarge)
LWVMC thanks our generous donors. Please see list here.
Action and advocacy are important roles for the League. We keep on top of what is going on at the local level in order to identify problems or issues that merit League or community attention, and then act as necessary to enable that community attention.
Our League programs regularly include:
Sign up to receive our Action Alerts!
- Adopting major issues for study and preparing detailed fact sheets on the findings. In scope, these studies could be on national, state, or local issues.
- Bringing research findings to the attention of League members for debate and discussion with the objective of reaching consensus positions which the League then adopts.
- If action or advocacy is needed on an issue where the League has a position, we move to the forefront equipped with solid facts and study materials that help present the organization's views. We do that by writing letters, calling legislators, testifying at hearings, writing to the media or other interested groups and organizations--including concerned citizens--to bring about a desired policy or legislative result.
Attachment Size Election Process Fact Sheet Final.pdf 298.62 KB Election Process Recorders Form Final.pdf 130.32 KB ElectionProcessStudyGuide_Part1.pdf 190.68 KB ElectionProcessStudyGuide_Part2.pdf 1.84 MB ElectionProcessStudyGuide_Part3.pdf 434.09 KB
Fact Sheet, Study Guide and Recorder's form for use in local Leagues' 2013 unit meetings on updating the LWVMD Election Process Study. Leagues are requested to submit their completed Recorder's forms no later than April 18, 2013.
The Senate Judiciary Committee is taking the first steps to move legislation on immigration reform to the Senate floor. The committee is considering hundreds of amendments to S. 744, the Border Security, Economic Opportunity and Immigration Modernization Act of 2013. There has been vigorous debate from both sides of the aisle on workers’ rights, border security and establishing a path to citizenship for aspiring Americans. The debate on this legislation will continue in the coming weeks and months, but now is the time for you to add your voice. Tell your Senators that you support comprehensive immigration reform.
The League believes that comprehensive immigration reform will strengthen our nation and society. Comprehensive immigration reform must:
• Provide a path to citizenship for undocumented persons;
• Promote reunification of families;
• Meet economic business and employment needs of the U.S.;
• Improve safeguards against illegal immigration;
• Provide due process for all persons including the right to a fair hearing.
Thank your Senators for addressing the crucial issue of immigration reform. Urge them to allow immigrants to contribute to the U.S. economy and society by providing them with a clear pathway to citizenship.